I have been drinking wine for years. Why should I take a class about wine?
There are many misconceptions and myths surrounding the subject of wine. In the end, though, it is nothing but a beverage enjoyed and celebrated around the world and has been for thousands of years. Whether you have been drinking wine for decades or you just turned 21, it only takes a handful of purchases from the corner liquor store to come to some conclusions about which wines you like and which are better left on the shelf. But why do you like the wines you like? To be able to go into a restaurant/wine store and express (often just a word or two will get your point across) what you like is the most powerful information you can possess.
The easy part is deciding if you like a wine or not. The difficult part is understanding why. What do you like about it, and how do you communicate your feelings? Is it light or full bodied? Tannic or smooth and supple? What are tannins anyway? Is it fruity, sweet, dry... ? Do fruity and sweet mean the same thing?
Wine is most definitely a subject that the more you learn, the more you want to continue discovering. And fortunately, there are so many wines that are just waiting to be discovered. We here at NYC Wine Class work to give you the tools to identify your palate and continue to learn every time you taste a wine. With this, an entire new world will be yours for the taking.
How do I register for a class?
You can register through our website on the classes page Simply choose which class(es) you would like, click on "Add to Cart" and the instructions will take you from there. Or feel free to call us anytime at 212.647.1875 and we can take all your information over the phone.
How are the classes structured?
Our classes combine useful and distinctive information, a relaxed atmosphere, and plenty of specifically chosen wines and cheeses. Classes are typically about two hours long and typically feature between five and ten comparative tastings (10-20 wines) that serve to demonstrate varying levels of body, tannin, sweetness or dryness, fruity or earthy, and so much more.
The classes are designed so that you an learn about wine through tasting wines and learning about them while Andrew discusses their unique attributes, their background, their flavors, and perhaps most importantly, what really identifies each wine so that if that particular wine is not available at your local store, you can find an alternative that you may just like even better.
In addition, we always taste a selection of artisinal cheeses, cured meats and olives from Murray's. Many classes which focus on a specific country or region also offer specially prepared small plates which have been chosen for their ability to pair with the wines.
What if I register for a class and then can not attend?
Please notify us at least 3 days before the date of the class and we are happy to issue you full credit toward any future class.
Where are the classes held? What are they like?
All classes are held at the NYC Wine Company. Located on the north side of 23rd Street between 6th & 7th Avenues (closer to 7th). Our door is to the left of Landmark Wines at 167 West 23rd Street. This is our own dedicated space, designed with wine tasting (& you, the taster) in mind. We look forward to seeing you soon. Public Transportaion: 1/9 - 23rd St & 7th Ave F/V - 23rd St & 6th Ave C/E - 23rd St & 8th Ave N/R - 23rd St & Broadway Path - 23rd St & 6th Ave Parking: Garages abound & free street parking starts at 6:00 pm on 23rd street.
Do I need to bring anything to the class?
In short, no. If you registered for the class either through the website or over the phone we have you in our class roster and will take your name as you arrive. You need just arrive with a thirst for knowledge - and a glass or two of wine.
I want to buy a class as a gift for someone, is that possible?
We are more than happy to create gift certificates. These can be for either a specific monetary value or for a specific class. To purchase one simply call us at 212 647 1875 and we will be happy to take all your information and send you the certificate either by mail or email.
Does NYC Wine Company host corporate or private events?
Yes. Our classes are but one part of what we do at NYC Wine Class. For details please see our Corporate Page for more information and thank you for your interest.
Who attends the classes?
Our classes attract a diverse group of people including work colleagues, couples, families, singles, and groups of friends.
While many of our students are in the 25-38 range, they all, whether 21 or 91, express their enthusiasm for the classes with equal vigor. Our students consistently voice how comfortable the classes are and how at ease they feel to learn, taste, ask questions, and then tell their friends and return again to do it all over again.
Each class has between 18 and 34 people, which lends to the intimate and personalized setting always found at our events.
What are some of our favorite links?
- Great source for what is happening in the wine industry around the world. The "Wine Ratings" section is an excellent reference for choosing wines whether they be for personal drinking, a gift, or just good solid scientific research. It is current with news on all the latest and greatest in the wine world, has breadth and depth of information, facts, and figures, and is easy to navigate.
- Best site out there to find where to buy any wine, anywhere in the world. The best part is, they list them from least to most expensive. The Pro Version, which costs $25 annually, I a great investment. Without it, the search results are limited and typically some of the least expensive options for any given wine will be left out in the free search. It is, nonetheless, a great resource whatever version you use.
- Very comprehensive nationwide listing of wine tastings and events in most major cities and towns all around the country. It is free of charge.
- Instead of keeping all your old Bon Appetite and Gourmet magazines in a box in the closet, you can find recipes here for just about anything you could possibly imagine. In addition, they have some very good food & wine pairing articles and helpful entertaining tips.
- There are many great wine stores around the country, many of which will deliver within just a few daysor even the same day if they re in your city. So, first think of a wine you like or find one on Wine Spectator, then find where to buy it at the cheapest price on Wine Searcher, and finally call the store and place your order. Some of our favorite stores outside New York City that deliver and have proven to be very reliable are:www.rarewine.com, www.johnhartfinewine.com, www.samswine.com,www.brownderby.com.
New Question 2...